Saturday, August 8, 2009

Ready, Set, Cornbread!

0 Comments

As a part of my meal pattern for the child care I have in our home, I serve a bread with each lunch. I like to have more on-hand than sliced sandwich bread. Cornbread is a great make-ahead bread choice. My big batch of cornbread makes six toddler lunches.

I start with two boxes of Krusteaz cornbread mix. I'm sure four boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix or even a 'from scratch' recipe would work.

I mix it up according to the package directions.


I then put it in my 9x13 pan and bake it for 30 to 35 minutes. I check it for doneness with a toothpick--it should come out clean when inserted in the center.


After it has cooled, I cut it into 6 equal sections (you can barely see my cuts in the photo below). Cutting into fourths or in half may be what you need to feed your crew. You will get good at estimating portions as you keep trying to cook in bulk.

I then package in labeled Ziploc baggies and put in the freezer. On the day I want to serve cornbread, I will take it out in the morning (I serve it to toddlers for their lunch). By lunch it will be defrosted and ready to eat.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...