Thursday, October 29, 2009

Make Ahead Winter Squash

6 Comments

Finally, the yummy winter squash are on sale! We picked up a few.

I didn't really have a plan, so I went with the directions on the sticker on the squash.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Place cut-side down in a baking dish in about a half-inch of water. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until fork-tender.




I scooped out the insides and put in Ziploc containers, labeled and into the freezer for future meals.

My plan is to use these for meals by plopping into my mini crock pot a few hours before serving. They will be thawed and heated through by meal-time. I like to add a pat of butter and some Parmesan cheese.



Acorn Squash on Foodista

Share/Save/Bookmark
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum October 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I love to process my winter squash this way. I freeze it in 2-cup batches so I can make quick breads throughout the winter.

:)
ButterYum

Mary Bergfeld October 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM

This is a marvelous suggestion. I really like the idea of being able to reheat and season just before serving.

B. October 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I love summer squash and dont have much experience with winter ones but you make it look easy and I too lov to freeze for later, so I will now look for the sale!

Unknown October 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM

What a GREAT!!! idea.
Geri

Nicole Feliciano November 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Good thinking. I've never put up squash before but I like the idea. Thanks so much for linking up to Momtrends.

Anonymous November 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Looks good. Thanks for sharing and linking to Freezer Food Friday!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...