Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Breakfast Strada

0 Comments

Thrift store shopping--One of my favorite hobbies!  I came across a book:  Six Ingredients or Less: Slow Cooker.  For $1 I thought it might give me some more simple ideas.  It turned out to be a very good dollar spent.  Here's one of the great recipes.

Ham and Cheese Strata
(I made Sausage and Cheese Strata)


1 loaf 8 oz. French bread
1 cup cubed ham
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1 cup milk


I doubled the recipe and substituted a few things......

Brown 1 pound of breakfast sausage.  Drain.  I used a one-pound bag of wheat rolls (in the sale basket), cubed in about one-inch pieces.  Place the bread in a sprayed crock pot.  Top with two cups shredded cheese and the cooked sausage.

In a bowl, beat 12 eggs with 2 cups of milk.  Pour over all.  Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high 2 1/2 to 3 hours until the mixture is set.


It turned out wonderful!  I didn't know you could make this in a slow cooker.

I ate one portion.


I then divided it up into individual portions for me--about a sandwich baggie  full.  I put the baggies into the freezer.

This weekend, I put a baggie-full straight from my freezer into a mini-crock pot for about two hours.  It came out just as good and moist as I had it on the first day.  This is definitely going into my permanent recipe box.





Share/Save/Bookmark

Subscribe to Leftovers On Purpose by Email

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...